Since a very young age, I always had a peculiar interest in Street Art. In my opinion, street is a form of expression, just line any other form of art.The only difference of this form of art is that it is illegal. Most street art is posted or drawn on public or city buildings and other infrastructures. In the film, such street artists like Banksy plastered photos of his work on billboards, highway signs and many other forbidden places. In essence I admire such work because I don't have the guts to do it myself!
In the film, I view Mr.Brainwash to be a very odd individual. In my perspective, he is not a true artist in the eyes of other artists who have been trained in their field and know the ins and outs of Street Art. Mr. Brainwash sort of just puts slight twists to formally made art pieces. In another light, I feel anytime a person creatively expresses himself on any media, its considered artistry. At the same time, I feel in order to be a true artist yo must NOT be ignorant to techniques and be trained in your field, because if nt, you're just a fool.
Banksy played a major role in the film and overall, he was the star of it. I believe Banksy was a great inspiration to Mr. Brainwash and inspired him to venture out on his own. I believe Banksy continued to be involved in Mr. Brainwash's film because it was out of the ordinary and pretty captivating, despite its weirdness. Banksy's debacle was pretty out there. In a sense I feel as if it was a little extreme but, I feel that if someone wants to make a statement, they have to by all means as long as its not hurting anyone.
Guetta's art show was a complete surprise to me. I honestly did not believe that he would be able to pull off such a huge show without any experience at all in art shows in the first place. He gained all the hype and interest by basically exploiting established artists. He had a multitude of art and he had a great showing. I think his down fall was the way he went about doing the event. He should have gained a genuine audience instead of using the other street artists to co-sign his work.
Guetta's followers were basically hype beasts to me. They wanted to see what was hot and be apart of something that was buzzing in the streets and the media. After seeing this documentary, I think his followers will realize the lack of Guetta actually has as a street artist.
"Exit Through the Gift Store" is Banksy's film. I believe the film name represents how people reap the benefits of hanging with right people and making use of small amount of info and feeding off of it for their own benefit. For instance, Mr. Brainwash hung out with all those street artists, learned a few tricks, and went on his way to creating his on street art.
To the art world, I'm am sure they feel insulted. Artists have a great feeling towards having an actual respect for art itself and creating pieces of meaning and depth, unlike Mr. Brainwash did.
Overall, the film was really good and I enjoyed it. I could relate a lot to how Mr. Brainwash was perceived. As a designer, most new designers are looked down upon because they have no experience, but coming from a young designer, I believe there are no rules. On the other hand, I fully understand that in order to be a successful designer, I must educate myself about the ins and outs of my craft.
-Garmai

No comments:
Post a Comment