Garmai- Korto Matthew
Facebook
Facebook is an interactive website that allows its users to post and view pictures, upload videos, posts status about numerous things and also be in the “know”. Personally, I use Facebook to network, stay connected, and even sometimes just to be nosey. I believe Facebook is a great site with many attributes but also has its downsides.
Facebook can be a source of vital information, but in some cases “too much information”. For example, one of my Facebook friends repeatedly posts pictures of herself in limited amounts of clothing just to get 100+ “likes” on her photos. Certainly, after a week of my updates being flooded with her photos, I deleted her as a friend, but I also realized girls do such acts on Facebook for a specific reason. Low self esteem that is. Wouldn’t you feel better about yourself if 100+ people approved of your “hotness” ? Maybe, or maybe not but in some cases, some people need public approval to feel good about themselves. Furthermore, one of my facebook friends posted a status on Facebook talking about how she hates men and wishes they never were created. After viewing such a harsh post, out of curiosity I go to her profile and long and behold she was “in a relationship” with another female. Not only was this a shocker that I have known this person all my life, but she also had pictures of them making out to prove it! Facebook exposes more to the public than to my liking; in my opinion, the best way to use such a website is to use it discreetly.
In a sense, I believe Facebook should be monitored. To be more specific, there was a movement going on Facebook where everyone was posting pictures their favorite cartoon character as their profile picture in efforts to support a charity for children. In reality, an online molester started the movement on the internet. Unfortunate happenings dealing with misconceived "positive movements" happen often on the internet. For such a event to occur says a lot about the public mindset. There is less and less interest in researching information and figuring out if all the things that we read are factual.
On a lighter note, Facebook can be used from a positive stand point in multiples ways. For example, I post updates for upcoming fashion shows, photo shoots and new fashion trends to publicize my clothing line, Guwala Da Nele: "Beautiful and Strong". Facebook gives me the ability to build up a following and interest in my African inspired garments more than the old school method of "word of mouth" would. Because of Facebook, my clothing line is growing and developing beautifully. Even though Guwala Da Nele is in its beginning stages, the fact that people are fond of my clothing and there are people in the world that see the uniqueness in my dream and ambitions is amazing.
-Garmai
No comments:
Post a Comment